Translate

Thursday 11 October 2012

MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS


·         Demyelinating disorder of CNS
·         M:F = 1:3
·         Age of onset- 20-40 yrs
·         Pathogenesis
§  Δiad-
1.       Inflammation
2.       Demyelination
3.       Gliosis
§  Stage of inflammation-
§  Perivenular cuffing with inflammatory mononuclear cells (T cells & macrophages) + infiltration of surrounding white matter
§  Disruption of blood brain barrier (but vessel wall is preserved, a contrast to vasculitis syndromes where vessel wall is damaged)
§  Stage of demyelination
§  Cell-mediated immunity- T-lymphocytes against Myelin Basic Protein (MBP)
§  Humoral immunity- Myelin specific antibodies
§  Stage of Gliosis/Scarring
§  Astrocytes proliferation + Partial remyelination of surviving naked axons by surviving oligodendrocytes appearing as ‘shadow plaques’
·         Histology
·         Risk factors-
§  Vit D deficiency
§  Genetic susceptibility
§  HLA DR2
§  IL2RA (Interleukin-2 receptor α gene)
§  IL7RA (Interleukin-7 receptor α gene)
§  High socioeconomic status
·         Clinical Manifestations
§  Weakness of the limbs
§  UMN type
§  Exercise induced weakness- characteristic
§  Spasticity (associated with)
§  Painful spasms
§  Spontaneous/Movement induced muscle spasms
§  Facial weakness
§  Due to lesion in pons.
§  Not associated with ipsilateral loss of taste sensation/retroauricular pain (a contrast to Bell’s palsy)
§  Cerebellar features
§  Ataxia
§  Dysarthria / Scanning speech
§  Vertigo
§  Sensory symptoms
§  Paresthesias (pins-needles, formications, burning pain)
§  Hypoesthesia (numbness)
§  Pain (50%)
§  Bladder dysfunction (>90%)
§  Detrusor hyperreflexia - impairment of suprasegmental inhibition. (urgency, nocturia, frequency)
§  Detrusor sphincter dyssynergia - loss of synchronization between detrusor and sphincter muscles. (hesitancy, urinary retention, overflow incontinence)
§  Constipation (30%)
§  Sexual Dysfunction
§  Cognitive Dysfunction and Depression
§  Optic neuritis
§  Diminished visual acuity
§  Desaturation/↓color vision in central field of vision.
§  Unilateral > Bilateral
§   Visual loss is usually preceded by periorbital pain (aggravated by eye movements)
§  Pallor of optic disk/optic atrophy
§  Visual blurring


§  Ancillary Symptoms
§  Heat Sensitivity-
·         Neurologic symptoms are produced when core body temperature rises.
·         Uhthoff’s symptom- Unilateral visual blurring during exercise or hot shower.
§  Lhermitte’s Symptoms- electric shock–like sensation (specially induced by flexion or other movements of the neck) radiating down the back into the legs
§  Trigeminal Neuralgia and Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia (demyelination of CN 5th and 9th)
§  Hemifacial Spasm (Demyelination of CN 7th)
§  Facial Myokymia – persistent rapid flickering contractions of facial muscles (due to lesions of brainstem or corticobulbar tracts)
·         Disease Patterns
1.       Relapsing/Remitting MS (85%)
§  Discrete attacks separated by intervals of near complete recovery
§  Risk of evolving to SPMS is ≈ 2% every year
§  Majority of RRMS progress to SPMS.

  
2.       Secondary Progressive MS
§  Always starts as RRMS, but with time there is gradual progression of baseline disability with time which is unassociated with acute attacks of MS
§  Thus, SPMS represents late stage of RRMS.



3.       Primary Progressive MS (15%)
§  There are no acute exacerbations/attacks of MS. Instead, from the onset there is a gradual progression of disability with time, which is usually rapid than SPMS.
  
4.       Progressive/Relapsing MS (5%)
§  Overlapping between PPMS and SPMS disease patterns.
  
·         Diagnosis
§  MRI with/without Gadolinium contrast
§  In Active lesions – BBB disrupted → Gd contrast leakage into surrounding brain parenchyma → enhancement on T1-weighted MRI
§  Residual MS plaquehyperintense focal area on T2-weighted MRI (but only 1/3rd appear as hypointense lesions on T1-weighted MRI → ‘Black Holes’)
§  Burden of Disease a.k.a. degree of Clinical Disability – correlates weakly with the total volume of T2 hyperintense lesions.
§  Evoked Potential testing
§  To assess function of afferent pathways (visual, auditory or somatosensory) and efferent pathways(motor)
§  CSF examination
§  ↑ mononuclear cells (mononuclear pleocytosis)
§  CSF total proteins normal/mildly ↑
§  ↑ level of intrathecally synthesized IgG (to distinguish between intrathecally derived IgG and Serum IgG which may have leaked into CSF due to disruption of BBB)
·         CSF IgG index = [IgG : Albumin]CSF ÷ [IgG : Albumin]Serum
·         CSF IgG synthesis rate
·         OligoclonalBanding (OCB) – detected by Agarose gel electrophoresis - ≥2 OCBs – seen in 75-90 % of MS patients.
·         Treatment
§  Degree of neurological impairment - Kurtzke Expanded Disability Status Score (EDSS)
§  Score < 3.5 – mostly seen in RRMS
§  Score > 5.5 – mostly seen in PPMS or SPMS
§  Treatment of Acute Attacks
§  Differentiate between ‘True-exacerbation’ and ‘Pseudo-exacerbation’
§  True-exacerbation or acute active disease – Glucocorticoids (mainstay)
§  Glucocorticoids avoided in ‘Pseudo-exacerbation’ [which may be due to temperature changes/fever/infection]
§  Reducing Biological Disease Activity via Disease Modifying Agents (FDA approved)
§  IFN-β (flu-like symptoms, hepatotoxicity) (not effective in SPMS without acute attacks)
·         IFN-β-1a (RRMS/SPMS with acute attacks)
·         IFN-β-1b (RRMS/SPMS with acute attacks)
§  Glatiramer acetate (RRMS)
§  Natalizumab (very effective in all forms, but ↑ risk of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy on long term therapy)
§  Fingolimod
§  Mitoxantrone (Cardiotoxicity, permanent amenorrhoea, acute leukemia)
§  Cladribine (to be approved by FDA)
§  Symptomatic Therapy


7 comments:

  1. We're looking for kidney donors for the sum of $500,000,00, For more details,Email: hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348142454860. website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    Dr Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
    HIV
    Herpes
    Cancer
    Chronic Disease
    Asthma
    Parkinson's disease
    External infection
    Als
    multiple sclerosis disease
    Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
    Heart Disease
    Diabetes
    Kidney Disease
    Lupus
    Epilepsy
    Stroke
    Eczema
    Eating Disorder
    Back Pain. etc
    contact him for your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All thanks to this great herbal doctor who cured me from (LUPUS DISEASE) his name is dr imoloa.  I suffered lupus disease for over 8 years with pains like: joints, Skin rash,  Pain in the chest,  swollen joints and many more.  The anti-inflammatory drugs couldn’t cure me, until I read about his recommendation. 2 months ago, I contacted him through his email address. drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com . and he sent me the herbal treatment through DHL courier service and he instructed me on how to drink it for good two weeks. after then,  And I was confirmed cured and free at the hospital after taken his powerful herbal medications You too can be cured with it if interested, he also uses his powerful herbal healing medicine to cure disease like:parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,  Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,  Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms,  chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,  Cystic  Fibrosis,  Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, back pain,  impotence,  feta  alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, skin cancer,  tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel  disease, bone cancer, lungs cancer,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,  back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's  Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal  nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major  Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's  Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular  Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease      Contacts him today  and get permanently cure. contact him via... email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com  /whatssapp-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are urgently in need of Organs Donors, Kidney donors,Female Eggs,Kidney donors Amount: $500.000.00 Dollars
    Female Eggs Amount: $500,000.00 Dollars
    WHATSAP: +91 91082 56518
    Email: : customercareunitplc@gmail.com
    Please share this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2347081986098. / website- www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2015, and I was a woman of 50. They put me on Rebif which I took until 2017 and was switched to Copaxone. I had two relapses on Rebif, none so far on Copaxone. I do notice my balance was getting worse, and my memory, i had no choice to sick for other solution and I was introduce to multivitamincare .org which I purchase the MS herbal formula from the org, the herbal supplement has successfully  get rid of my multiple sclerosis and reversed all symptoms after using the herbs as the Dr said , this is almost a miracle and do believe multivitamincare .org herbal cure will be recognize globally because am sure the world are yet to see their wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to share this here,
    I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with all kinds of disease or need herbal medicine for illness , Here is his contact information [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Web: www.drituaherbalcenter.com.
    Thank you once again blog admin.

    ReplyDelete